Advanced Disposal Services has been contracted to provide garbage and recycling pickup services for the Village of Whiting. Advanced Disposal Services can answer any questions residents may have. If you are interested in renting or purchasing a garbage cart and for all other inquiries please call Advanced Disposal Customer Service at 1-888-271-7176.
Garbage and Recycling may be set outside at the same time, but must be in different containers.
Garbage is collected every Monday in the Village of Whiting.
Recycling pickup occurs every other Monday.
Containers may be set out the night before or by 5:00 a.m. Monday.
Holidays will affect the schedule. Please review the garbage and recycling schedule.
Portage County Hazardous Waste Information: Household Hazardous Waste - 2012
How to dispose of medicine: Pharmaceutical Dropoff Brochure - 2012
New Recycling brochure: Recycling Brochure - 2012
Sharps Collection Stations: 'Sharps' Collection Program - 2012
Information on Portage County Transfer Facility: Transfer Facility - 2012
- Old or unused fire extinguishers can be dropped off at the Village Office and the Fire Department will dispose of them properly. No charge.
- Get CASH for your old fridge or freezer. Focus On Energy offers $35 for any old fridge or freezer. Appliances must be working. You can get them picked up for free by calling 800-354 1898.
- The Village offers a once a month curbside pickup for appliances and furniture. Stickers must be purchased at the Village office and prices vary for each item. The pickup is the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
- Portage County Solid Waste Department also accepts furniture, appliances, electronics, grills, carpeting, motor oil, light bulbs, batteries and more. Fees may apply. Call 715 343 6297 for prices and hours of operation.
- Household SHARPS collection program. FREE SERVICE. Sharps (do not separate the needle from the syringe; Place them in a labeled secure container with the words “BIO-HAZARD”, “INFECTIOUS WASTE”, or ‘SHARPS”. Good examples of secure containers are heavy plastic detergent or bleach bottles with a screw top cap. Drop off pharmacy locations: K-Mart; ShopKo Plover and ShopKo Stevens Point; Trigs County Market; Walgreens on Church Street; or both the Copps stores (Copps requires a Commercial Sharps Container). Questions call Portage County Information Line at 715 343 6297.
- Portage County Solid Waste Department, 650 Moore Road (off CTH B) provides FREE paper shredding; scrap metal, used motor oil and antifreeze. Questions call 715 346 1931.
- Latex Paint is not a hazardous material. Hardened paint can be put out as garbage. To harden paint leave paint in open can or pour into a box lined with a plastic bag and to speed up the process add kitty litter, sawdust or a commercially purchased paint hardener. Paint lids can be recycled.
- UNWANTED MEDICINE: Two permanent locations at Plover Police Department (Post Road entrance) or Stevens Point Police Department lobby (basement level). Prescription and over the counter are acceptable in original containers. Also keep the name of the medication on the container for easier identification. But remove your name, address and phone number. Questions call 715 343 6297.